History of the War Memorial Institute
The Institute building was originally the Mineral Water Factory and was conveyed in November 1920 to the people of South Creake for “Social and Recreational use”. Facilities were fairly basic but proved to be a popular meeting place.
In 1957 Mr J.B.Griggs, one of the original founders, who held the position of President and Chairman, raised £360 to install modern lavatories and toilet conveniences and was aided by a grant from the Educational Ministry, London.
The Institute at that time was only used for recreational purposes. It was also used for meetings of the Parish Council, Political meetings, Wedding receptions and other village functions, for which a small charge was made for the hiring.
Valuable work in the Parish emanated from the Institute which housed the Local Invasion Committee, Red Cross, Soldiers Comforts Fund and the Norfolk War Charities.
The Institute continued to flourish for many years, and in 1984 the Social Club was granted a 20 year lease on the Club Room and continued to provide social facilities with active Billiard teams, both Men and Women Dart teams and regular live music on Saturday evenings. Sadly economic circumstances overcame the Social Club and it was closed a few years ago.
On 3rd April 1984, The Charities Commission created a new Charity Scheme to run the War Memorial Institute. It comprises a committee of up to 11 members, 2 elected and 9 representative members. This Committee is still going strong and is working actively to build a brand new Memorial Pavilion, in a different and more suitable position, to continue on with the aims and desires of the Trustees to provide a more convenient meeting place for residents of the village.
The new Memorial Pavilion
The Trustees, in conjunction with the Parish Council, have developed exciting proposals for a new community pavilion to be sited on the Village Recreational ground (Playing field) opposite the pub, between the bowls green and the children’s play area, next to the river and the football pitch. Full Planning Consent is being sought during 2009, for construction to commence once the detailed scheme has been finalised, funding arrangements completed and tenders obtained.
The picture below shows the area of the Recreational Ground (Playing field) and the Village Green to the upper right. The site where the proposed Memorial Pavilion will be is in the area between the second square of grass (The Bowls green) and the children’s play area, just to the right of the centre of the picture.
Location and layout plans can be viewed by clicking on Site layout
The exterior elevations and interior layout by clicking on Pavilion layout.
This model was built by one of the Trustees for display at the village Fun Day on 27th September 2008.
There was a lot of interest shown at the show with very favourable comments being put forward.
The model, and plans, will be on display at all future fund raising events.
For further information about the village, holiday accommodation and events that are going on there, please click onto the village website at www.southcreake.com